This page provides a listing of online articles and a bibliography of selected books about the faith community nursing profession. These readings address topics such as health promotion, programming, counseling, history, and theology. These selections are not intended to represent exhaustive listings. There are many books and articles published on specific health topics from the faith-based perspective that are not listed here. For assistance in identifying additional readings, contact your local librarians or booksellers.
There are several ways to go about locating and obtaining books and other print materials. Public and academic libraries employ trained information professionals who can assist with using library catalogs and other databases to identify materials on a given subject. They can also provide Interlibrary Loan services for obtaining copies of books and articles that are not owned in local libraries. Online booksellers have searchable catalogs which are often useful for identifying and purchasing books on various topics. Some faith community nursing websites, such as the International Parish Nurse Resource Center, also provide catalogs of books and other materials for purchase.
- Byrne, M. “Parish Nurses Add Faith to Bedside Manner” St. Petersburg Times, August 19, 2000.
- Farrell, M.C. “Parish Nurse Heals Door-to-Door” The Lutheran, July 1999.
- Hawke, M. Parish Nurses: Integrating Health and Faith Nursing Spectrum (New York/New Jersey Metro edition), 16 (9), 2004.
For more extensive listings of newspaper and journal articles, visit the National Library of Medicine’s PubMed database for article citations or visit the Texas Department of State Health Services’ Parish Nursing/Health Ministry Bibliography.
- Caiger, B. (2006). Walking Alongside: The Essence of Parish Nursing. Victoria, B.C.: Trafford.
- Carson, V. B., & Koenig, H. G. (2002). Parish Nursing: Stories of Service and Care. Philadelphia: Templeton Foundation Press
- Clark, M.B., & Olson, J.K. (2000). Nursing Within a Faith Community: Promoting Health in Times of Transition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Daumer, R.D. (1998). Seasons for Wholeness: Monthly Themes and Programming for Parish Nurse Ministry. Newell, IA: Health Ministries I.C.A.R.E., Inc.
- Evans, A.R. (1999). The Healing Church: Practical Programs for Health Ministries. Cleveland, OH: United Church Press.
- Gilbert, R.B. (Ed.). (2002). Health Care and Spirituality: Listening, Assessing, Caring (Death, Value and Meaning Series). Amityville, NY: Baywood Publishing Co.
- Griffin, J.L., & Matheus, R. (1998). The Child in the Congregation: A Resource Guide for Parish Nurses. Park Ridge, IL: National Parish Nurse Resource Center.
- Hickman, J. S. (2006). Faith Community Nursing. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Kauffman, C.J. (1995). Ministry and Meaning: A Religious History of Catholic Health Care in the United States. New York: Crossroad.
- Kinast, R.L., & Seidl, L.G. (1997). Partners in Healing: Healthcare Organizations and Parish Communities. St. Louis, MO: The Catholic Health Association of the United States.
- O’Brien, M. E. (2008). A Sacred Covenant: The Spiritual Ministry of Nursing. Sudbury, Mass: Jones and Bartlett.
- O’Brien, Mary Elizabeth. (2003). Parish Nursing: Healthcare Ministry Within the Church. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Parish-Based Health Services for Aging Persons: A Guide for Healthcare Organizations. (1999). St. Louis, MO: The Catholic Health Association of the United States.
- Patterson, D.L. (2003). The Essential Parish Nurse: ABCs for Congregational Health Ministry. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press.
- Ronaldson, S. (Ed.). (1997). Spirituality: The Heart of Nursing. Melbourne: Ausmed Publications.
- Scope and Standards of Parish Nursing Practice. (1998). Washington, DC: American Nurses Pub.
- Shelly, J.A., Fish, S., & Wallace, G. (1988). Spiritual Care: The Nurse’s Role. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press.
- Smith, Sybil D. (Ed.). (2003). Parish Nursing: A Handbook for the New Millennium. Binghampton, NY: Haworth Press.
- Solari-Twadell, P. A., & McDermott, M. A. (2006). Parish Nursing: Development, Education, and Administration. St. Louis: Elsevier Mosby.
- Solari-Twadell, P.A., & McDermott, M.A. (Eds.). (1999). Parish Nursing: Promoting Whole Person Health Within Faith Communities. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Switzer, D.K. (2000). Pastoral Care in Emergencies. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press.
- Thomas, L., & Alkire, J. (1992). Healing as a Parish Ministry: Mending Body, Mind and Spirit. Notre Dame, IN: Ave Maria Press.
- Van der Poel, C. (1998). Theology of Health Care Ministry: Faith-Filled Response to Human Suffering. Kansas City, MO: Sheed & Ward.
- VandeCreek, L., & Mooney, S. F. D. (2002). Parish Nurses, Health care Chaplains, and Community Clergy: Navigating the Maze of Professional Relationships. New York: Haworth Press.
- Westberg, G.E., & McNamara, J.W. (1990). The Parish Nurse: Providing a Minister of Health for Your Congregation. Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Fortress.
For additional books, visit the Texas Department of State Health Services’ Parish Nursing/Health Ministry Bibliography.