5 Upcoming Classes for Public Health Professionals in October 2017 from the National Network of Libraries of Medicine
Are you a public health professional looking for training opportunities? Check the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) website for free professional development opportunities, such as a class about online resources to support evidence-based practice on population health, a webinar on how to communicate health statistics, and a webinar on using the PHPartners website to find public health information online. Here are five classes and webinars from NNLM coming up in October 2017 to meet your training needs:
- Online Resources to Support Evidence-Based Practice on Population Health (October 1, 2017 to October 31, 2017) – This course is designed to introduce public health professionals and librarians to MedlinePlus, PubMed, and HSRProj and demonstrate how to find reliable health information and data related to population health and Healthy People 2020.
- Combatting Information Fatigue: Health Information Resources for Veterans (October 2, 2017 to October 30, 2017) – Veterans and their families need reliable health information resources and training to locate health information that is sensitive and pertinent to their needs. This course will cover resources for finding information on general health conditions, mental health resources including those for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), family issues, substance abuse, amputations, support groups and more.
- Harm Reduction, Medication Assisted Treatment and Considering Comorbid Disorders When Deciding Treatment (October 5, 2017, 1:00PM – 2:00PM ET) – Dr. Amy Harrington, Medical Director for Acute Addiction Continuum at Community Healthlink will discuss “harm reduction”, as well as how comorbid disorders can affect the type of treatment plan the patient and provider consider. Learn why a “one size fits all” treatment strategy may not be the best approach.
- Making Sense of Numbers: Understanding Risks and Benefits. Learning How to Communicate Health Statistics (October 11, 2017, 2:00PM – 3:00PM ET) – This class is a basic introduction for anyone who wants to understand how to communicate health information that involves numeracy. The purpose of this class is to understand risk and benefits from a layman’s perspective and to understand that the communication of numbers must be clear and easy to understand.
- Accessing Public Health Information Online: Your Guide to PHPartners (October 25, 2017, 1:00PM – 2:00PM ET) – Since 1998, the Partners in Information Access for Public Health Professionals (https://phpartners.org/) website has provided public health professionals, and those that support them, with timely, convenient access to information resources to help them improve the health of the American public. Join us for this online webinar as we learn more about PHPartners, the information that’s available, and how to effectively navigate the site.