HS/HSL Strategic Plan: 2017-2021
The Health Sciences and Human Services Library meets the information needs of our diverse communities through provision of expertise, resources, services and an environment supportive of the University's values and mission.
We will create a dynamic, collaborative and innovative knowledge environment focused on excellence in expertise, service, and resource access and creation, relevant to and advancing university priorities. We will advance the library as a vibrant intellectual and cultural hub for the university.
Strive for excellence.
Collaborate to enhance knowledge.
Anticipate, respond, and evolve to meet the needs of our users.
Promote a diverse environment marked by integrity, inclusiveness and respect.
Lead in the creation and dissemination of knowledge in our professional communities.
Themes and Goals:
Theme 1 - Health, Justice, and Social Impact
- Advance health and well-being in our communities through support of innovative health information outreach projects.
- Support and participate in university-wide outreach efforts promoting health and wellness.
- Engage health care providers and researchers to improve clear communications and increase health literacy awareness.
Theme 2 - Research and Scholarship
- Advance the scholarly and research goals of faculty, staff, and students.
- Develop innovative ways to organize and deliver information and services to researchers.
- Lead initiatives to preserve the scholarly record and promote scholarly communication.
- Demonstrate the effectiveness of the research enterprise through the use of analytical expertise and tools.
- Create a knowledge culture supportive of entrepreneurship and discovery through responsive and anticipative services.
- Evaluate, acquire, and support the technologies that users need to discover, create, use, and preserve information.
- Create physical spaces and virtual environments that enhance research and scholarship.
Theme 3 - Student Success
- Advance the Health Sciences and Human Services Library as an integral part of teaching and learning initiatives at the University of Maryland, Baltimore.
- Lead in the use and creation of innovative teaching methodologies and technologies by partnering with instructional design and technology leaders.
- Instruct faculty, staff, and students in the use of information resources and tools promoting discovery, learning, creativity, and innovation.
- Create physical spaces and virtual environments that enhance learning.
Theme 4 - Inclusive Excellence
- Promote a culture of civility, diversity and inclusion, responsibility, and excellence within the HS/HSL modeling those values in interactions with our user community.
- Prepare staff for new roles through programming and training opportunities.
- Promote a collaborative/collegial work environment.
- Recruit and retain a diverse, knowledgeable and flexible workforce.
- Encourage and sustain expertise, skills, curiosity, and commitment.
Theme 5 - Partnership and Collaboration
- Develop staff expertise encouraging innovation, becoming sought-after University partners.
- Cultivate the HS/HSL's role as a catalyst for social connection, collaboration, and celebration.
- Spark imagination and stimulate interest in health and social sciences, humanities, and technology.
- Create physical spaces and virtual environments enhancing collaboration.
Theme 6 - Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment
- Sustain optimal funding to advance the Library and University strategic priorities.
- Advocate for the HS/HSL as an essential component of the university's infrastructure.
- Strive for a stable and appropriate funding environment.
- Diversify funding sources through pursuit of grant, contract, and other opportunities.
- Adopt a lifecycle planning approach that ensures optimal and user-oriented technology resources.
- Reimagine and redesign Library environments through a continuous, evidence-based process.
- Conduct regular needs assessments for service improvements and planning, incorporating users into the decision-making process.
- Communicate library value using evidence-based analysis.
- Through an effective communication and promotion program, build awareness of and support for the Library.