The HS/HSL is a part of the University of Maryland, Baltimore | My UMB The Elm UM Shuttle Google Apps@UMaryland Blackboard

601 West Lombard Street
Baltimore MD 21201-1512

Reference: 410-706-7996
Circulation: 410-706-7928


Historical Collections

School Abbreviations

DENTAL SCHOOLS

  • BCDS - Baltimore College of Dental Surgery. Included here are graduates from 1841-1923. The BCDS merged with the University of Maryland in 1924.
  • BMC Dent - Baltimore Medical College Dental Department. Included here are graduates from 1896-1905; 1907-1908; and 1911-1912. All departments of the Baltimore Medical College, including the Dental Department, merged with the University of Maryland in 1913.
  • MDC - Maryland Dental College. Included here are graduates from 1874-1878.
  • UM Dent - University of Maryland School of Dentistry. Included here are graduates from 1883 onward. Some catalogs from this school include brief listings of names that are headed "Degrees Conferred Since Last Commencement." Since the exact dates of such conferments are not available, the likely possible date associated with any such name appears with a question mark.

MEDICAL SCHOOLS

  • CMM - College of Medicine of Maryland. The University of Maryland, Baltimore was founded in 1807 by the State of Maryland as the College of Medicine of Maryland. In 1812 the school was re-chartered as the University of Maryland. Included here are graduates from 1807-1811.
  • UM Med - University of Maryland School of Medicine. Included here are graduates from 1812 onward.
  • BMC - Baltimore Medical College. Included here are graduates from 1882 through 1913. All departments of the Baltimore Medical College merged with the University of Maryland in 1913.
  • P & S - College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Maryland. Included here are graduates from 1873 through 1915. Originally a separate rival school, the College of Physicians and Surgeons closed in 1915 and merged with the University of Maryland School of Medicine in 1916.
  • WMC - Washington University, School of Medicine. Chartered as the Washington Medical College in 1832, the name was changed to Washington University in 1867. The School merged with the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Maryland in 1878. Includes graduates from 1832 to 1878.

PHARMACY SCHOOLS

  • MCP - Maryland College of Pharmacy. Included here are graduates from 1842 through 1901, and also for 1903. The Maryland College of Pharmacy became the University of Maryland Department of Pharmacy in 1904.
  • UM Pharm - University of Maryland School of Pharmacy. Included here are graduates from 1905 onward.

NURSING

  • Nursing - University of Maryland School of Nursing. The school started out as the University Hospital Training School for Nurses and later became a separate school in the University. Included here are graduates from 1899 onward.

SOCIAL WORK

  • SSW - University of Maryland School of Social Work. The School of Social Work was founded in 1961. Included here are graduates from 1962 onward.

GRADUATE

  • Graduate - University of Maryland Graduate School. The Graduate School was founded in 1918 and through its history has had ties to the University of Maryland, College Park and the University of Maryland Baltimore County.
Go to the Alumni Database