On March 14, 2019 the HS/HSL received a gift of handwritten class notes from the family of Harold H. Burns. Harold H. Burns graduated from the University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Medicine in 1936. Following graduation Dr. Burns completed his residency at Mercy Hospital where he remained as a surgeon until the 1970s. He also had a general practice office in Parkville, Maryland until 1990.
Dr. Burns was born in Girardville, PA in 1909. He was a skilled pianist, playing piano along with silent movies in Pennsylvania and Atlantic City, New Jersey as an early career. When he first saw movies with sound he realized his piano playing career would be short lived so he entered what is now Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, PA. He attended school at Susquehanna for a semester before transferring to the University of Pittsburg, where he took pre-medical courses at the University of Pittsburgh before entering the University of Maryland. Dr. Burns married Margaret Ross Conway and had 5 children. Dr. Burns died in January 2004.
The donation includes eight envelopes of notes dating from 1933. The notes come from courses in Pathology, Medicine, Surgical Anatomy, Pharmacology, Surgery, Fractures and Operative Surgery, Physiology and Bacteriology. To learn more about the School of Medicine during Dr. Burns’ time check out the Academic Catalog for that time: http://hdl.handle.net/10713/2623